- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil (used Colavita’s Extra-Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped white onion
- 12 ounces (375 g) firm tofu, pressed and cubed (used a 14 oz. pkg.) (made 3/4″ cubes)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegan BBQ sauce (used the BBQ Sauce from the Sloppy Josephs/BBQ Sauce recipe)
- 2 medium pita pockets, halved
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vegan mayonnaise (used Follow Your Heart’s original Vegenaise. I wouldn’t bother measuring that out. Use as much or little as you want.)
- 2 cups (500 ml) shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 cup (250 ml) alfalfa sprouts or microgreens (used alfalfa sprouts)
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add the oil and onion and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent. (I couldn’t do it that way. I got the oil heated up before adding the onion.) Add the tofu cubes and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the vegan BBQ sauce and stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the tofu is coated and the sauce has thickened slightly. Remove from the heat.
- Evenly divide the vegan mayonnaise, lettuce, carrot, sprouts and tofu among the 4 pita halves.
- Serve immediately. Serves 4.
- The tofu in its sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat it in the microwave just before serving. Store the other ingredients separately and assemble the pitas just before serving.
This was a nice lunch idea. I think I would have preferred more BBQ sauce and some other fresh vegetable(s) that could have provided more of a crunch to the sandwich. The only flavor you’re really going to get is the BBQ sauce but that’s okay with me because it’s damn tasty !
This recipe was from Liv B’s Vegan on a Budget by Olivia Biermann.
I wasn’t paid in any form to promote Colavita, Follow Your Heart’s, or Liv B’s Vegan on a Budget by Olivia Biermann.
Take care y’all !